I’m a dirty rotten pattern scavenger and I’m not ashamed to admit it. Making unique objects is a part of the joy of crafting, but, as with anything creative, creating something entirely novel is nigh on impossible. When I have made my own items without using a preexisting pattern as a base, I’ve still looked at quite a few to get my head around it. My rule is credit where credit is due. I will happily use another persons pattern and alter and change it, but at no point do I claim it to be entirely my own work.

Image

This is my most recent completed project. Pretty cool isn’t it? It’s also a combination of two different patterns I used to create one striking and unique object. I’ve wanted to have a go at the Tree of Gondor chart for quite some time. I love the jumper the person who designed it put it on, but once I looked at the price of that pattern, I thought I’d have a little look to see if I could find something else to create a similar effect. (I don’t mind paying for patterns, but I think the current USD to GBP conversion rate has made some things a touch on the expensive side.) After a trawl through ravelry I found this pattern which was a fantastic match. Cables on both the sleeves, and around the neck which ended up matching nicely to the tops of the branches.

viking

Last year, a friend mentioned she wanted a knitted viking helmet after seeing Anna Sui’s on the catwalk. I think she was hoping I’d make her one, but wasn’t expecting one. But I loved the idea, and in the next couple of months produced this for her. Perhaps a little less fashion forwards and a little more Hagar the Horrible, she was none the less over the moon with it. There was a part of me that wanted to keep it for myself. I honestly can’t remember what hat pattern I used, but I chose something in stocking stitch, with a stitch count that was divisible by 10 and 4 in order to work with the cables I had planned. How did I create the horns I hear you ask? Clanger heads knitted in chunky wool. Originally I used the adult pattern, but they were just too big, so I scaled it down and used one of the child clanger heads instead.

Untitled

Quite some time ago I came across this gorgeous Totoro adaptation of this pattern. Being a student at the time and finding larger projects somewhat intimidating, I didn’t end up taking it on for roughly another 5 years. The original pattern just lends itself to being redesigned, the designer’s even written about some of her favorites other people have done. I’ve done two of my own versions of it, shamelessly adapting small colour work charts I found on google image searches. I’ve got a few more planned too.

Well, that’s it for today. See you soon!

Advertisements